Local government history - dates noting government status
Detailed historical account of Strathcona County's governance from
Story of Rural Municipal Government in Alberta 1909 to 1983
Publisher: Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, 1983
Used with permission
The beginnings of organized politics in modern day Strathcona District started with the Clover Bar area being named Statute Labor and Fire District No. 2, by the North-West Territories Government in 1893. This was intended to organize herd and fire districts, and trails for increasing settlement.
In 1903, the Labor Districts became Local Improvement Districts. There were six townships, 216 square miles in size. In 1912, they were enlarged to nine townships, and called Local Improvement District Nos. 517 and 518.
In 1918 the Local Improvement District No. 517 became the Municipal District of Clover Bar, and Local Improvement District No. 518 became the Municipal District of Strathcona, No. 83.
Meanwhile, the Government of Alberta amalgamated 76 one-roomed schools in the Strathcona and Leduc areas, and named them the Clover Bar School Division No. 13. In 1955 the Co-terminus Boundaries Act united the Municipal District of Strathcona and the school districts within its borders.
This led to the amalgamation of these two bodies - the municipality and school divisions - on January 1, 1962 to be called County of Strathcona No. 20.
This lasted until 1994 when the school division was split off to form Elk Island Public Schools Regional Division No. 14.
Effective January 1, 1996, Strathcona County was granted status as a specialized municipality by Alberta Municipal Affairs. This means that Sherwood Park and the Urban Service Area immediately around it is considered equivalent to a city for purposes of provincial programs and grants, and rural Strathcona is recognized as equivalent to a municipal district for program and grant purposes.
Last updated: Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Page ID: 8230